Part 4 of our Domain Statistics & Numbers article series breaks down the size of generic top-level domain (gTLD) namespaces:
- How many top-level domain name extensions exist in total?
- How many domains are registered worldwide?
- What are the Top 10 global domain extensions?
- How big are the generic top-level domain (gTLD) namespaces?
- What is the ranking of my country code top-level domain (ccTLD)?
4. How big are the generic top-level domain (gTLD) namespaces?
A useful resource for these domain name statistics is the ICANN Dashboard which provides an interactive timeline on the growth of generic TLDs.
.AERO - .MOBI interactive timeline or click for larger view:
.MUSEUM - .TRAVEL interactive timeline or click for larger view:
Further information about the fluctuation in these graphs can be found directly on the ICANN Dashboard.
The number of registered gTLDs and their ranking is as follows:
- .COM: 82.01 million
- .NET: 12.42 million
- .ORG: 7.79 million
- .INFO: 5.24 million
- .BIZ: 2.03 million
- .MOBI: ~ 850.000
- .NAME: ~ 300.000
- .TEL: ~ 220.000
- .ASIA: ~ 210.000
- .TRAVEL: ~130.000
- .CAT: ~38.000
- .PRO: ~37.000
- .JOBS: ~16.000
- .AERO: ~6.500
- .COOP: ~5.800
- .MUSEUM: ~550
Total number of generic domain extensions (September 2009): 111.3 million