This is part two in our Domain Statistics & Numbers article series which answers the following questions:
- How many top-level domain name extensions exist in total?
- How many domains are registered worldwide?
- What are the Top 10 global domain extensions?
- How big are the generic top-level domain (gTLD) namespaces?
- What is the ranking of my country code top-level domain (ccTLD)?
Part 2: How many domains are registered worldwide?
After the latest VeriSign’s Domain Industry Brief there were 184 million domain name registrations across all top-level domains by the end of the second quarter 2009.
The following graph shows the growth over time and the distribution between different domain extensions:
From these 184 million total registrations, gTLDs account for 109.6 million registered domains and ccTLDs have a registration base of 74.4 million addresses.
Other quick facts about the domain name industry:
- 20.9 million new domain names registered in the first six months of 2009.
- .COM & .NET account for 50% of all domains registered worldwide.
- The top 10 country code domain extensions comprise 66 per cent of all ccTLD registrations.
- The top 3 ccTLDs .DE, .CN & .UK represent 45 percent of all registered ccTLD names.
- .AR (Argentina), .RU (Russia) and .BR (Brazil) are currently the fastest growing ccTLDs.
Detailed Information about industry growth rates and ccTLD statistics can be found in the September 2009 issue of the Domain Industry Brief: PDF Download.